Race Report: Green Lakes 100k

photo credit: Doug Hardy

photo credit: Doug Hardy

On Saturday, I ran the Green Lakes 100k. Green Lakes was my first ultra ever (I did the 50k in 2013) so it seemed like a good place to jump up to 100k.

On Saturday, I got up at 4am and had a little breakfast. I left for the race shortly after 5am and got there with plenty of time to spare. I checked in, and it was great to see so many familiar faces.

The race started right at 6 and we were off! I knew it was going to be a warm day, so I planned on running conservatively. My goal was to run each lap (7.77 miles) in about an hour. The first lap took almost exactly an hour. So did the second and the third and the fourth. I was halfway there in just over four hours…

IMG_2720

And then the race really started. It was getting hot and I had 31+ miles in my legs. I started slowing down – a lot more than I would have hoped. I was pretty dehydrated and I was having issues getting rehydrated. On my fifth loop, I started walking some of the steeper uphills. On my sixth loop, I started walking almost all of the uphills. On my seventh loop, I was walking the uphills and some of the downhills. Anyhow, while all this walking was taking place, the fella in second place was started to close the gap on me.

At the halfway mark, I had a 23-minute lead. After five loops, it was 34 minutes. After six loops, it was 41 minutes! Then it started shrinking – fast! After the seventh loop, it was down to 28 minutes. As Tim Hardy, the race director, said to me before I started my final loop – no lollygagging!!

I had something left and I finished my last loop to take the win in 9:23:53. That’s an average of 9:04/mile for 62.2 miles. The heat definitely took its toll, as only 16 people finished the 100k.

Full results of the 100k are available here.

Full results of the 50k are available here.

Extra shout-outs to Tim and Kristen. Tim has run Badwater, do you think he wanted to hear me complain about the heat? He provided positive encouragement the whole way, not just for me, but for every runner. And to Kristen for reminding me that while it was hot, it was still better than Finger Lakes 50s – so true!

Only One Hill Per Loop!

Only One Hill Per Loop!

Footnotes:

– I hit 50 miles in 7:15.
– I survived on S!Caps, Hüma gels, water, orange slices, watermelon, some Hammer gel and a little soda – vegan all the way!
– My next race is TBD.
– Big respect for Jeremy Marble who came in 2nd in the 100k, came all the way from Portland, Oregon, and had, without a doubt, the best beard of any participant.

IMG_2724
IMG_2725
IMG_2726

This entry was posted in Races (Before & After), Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Race Report: Green Lakes 100k

1. jbspillman says:

That’s amazing! Good job! I still haven’t gotten the courage or endurance to get past the 13.1 mark. Carrying 240+ lbs don’t help 🙂 — once again congrats!

2. songbird128 says:

You came. You ran. You conquered! As I knew you would!! Excellence Jason!! Way to go toughing it out in difficult conditions, and hanging in there for the WIN!!! You never cease to amaze me!!! GREAT JOB! Congratulations!!! :)))

3. Tim says:

Great running, Jason! Congrats! You looked smooth and in control out there when I saw you. I can only imagine what it must have been like, cooking on the Serengeti in the later miles. I was glad to be done (and crash) after 50k. Such a beautiful course, though.

4. wanderwolf says:

Congrats on what sounds like a great race! (and I’d love it for a race coordinator to tell me “no lollygagging” into my last lap in an ultra). Have a good recovery.

5. Congrats! What an amazing accomplishment even just to START a 100K…not only did you start, but you finished AND WON! Impressive!!!

6. Tim really is one of the best RD’s around. He wants none of the complaining. And you just want to give it all you have for him.

7. Jane Likes to Run says:

Awesome job. Well, for there being only one hill per lap, it was a pretty decent one. Enjoy the recovery time.

Awesome job. Congrats Jason!

9. Jesus, that’s amazing. You smashed that like a boss! One day I’m gonna run ultras. One day…

10. Amazing!! Congrats on your win! It means more when you’re battling heat & humidity (& that crazy hill on repeat) in the end, right? 😉

11. Ellie says:

What a fantastic race! Vegans are the best 😉 You have now inspired me to do an ultra in the next year. Challenge accepted 🙂

12. runsonsyrup says:

Nice race!!!

13. Congrats on an awesome race!

14. Pingback: A New Ad – Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down? | Must Love Jogs

15. supereli23 says:

Congrats on a solid race! Running in the heat is terrible for any distance, I could only imagine how much mental strength it took to get through 62 miles!

16. Joey says:

You killed it! Awesome time and congrats!

17. Pingback: 2000. | Must Love Jogs