Mendon Trail Run 50k (My First DNF)

The Start photo credit: Egils Robs

The Start
photo credit: Egils Robs

Yesterday was the Mendon Trail Run. The conditions were pretty terrible. Temperature in the high 30s. High winds. Rain. It wasn’t pretty.

I had been feeling a little under the weather all week, but on Friday, it really started to hit me. On Saturday, I woke up with a sore throat, a stuffy nose and a fever. Great.

I headed to the race and arrived around 7:30. I checked in, set out my drinks and gels (it is a loop course) and headed over to the starting line. As we stood around waiting for the start, it was cold! However, once we started running, the temperature was fine.

Four of us broke away pretty early on. It was me, Daven Oskvig, Michael Hoffman and Aaron Mulvaney. This was pretty much as expected. We had a nice pace going and the miles ticked off nicely. My splits for the first 20k were:

IMG_0578

I slowed a little during the third loop. I still felt fine and I was running okay. I was in third place overall. I hit the 30k split in 2:15ish, exactly what I was hoping for. During the fourth loop, things started to fall apart. All of a sudden, everything hurt. Within a couple of miles, I was reduced to walking, and barely at that. It quickly became apparent that I wasn’t going to be able to finish the race. I was in pain, freezing and not going anywhere fast.

IMG_0579

I walked back to the start/finish area and dropped. My first DNF ever. Sad panda. I went and sat in my car trying to warm up. I got home and I still had a decent fever – I can’t say for certain, but I’m pretty sure that was my downfall. I’m really disappointed about the whole thing. I felt like I was in good shape and I really enjoyed the Mendon course. Then again, there’s nothing I could really do about it!

Men's Winner: Michael Hoffman photo credit: Egils Robs

Men’s Winner: Michael Hoffman
photo credit: Egils Robs

Women's Winner: Corbett Wicks photo credit: Egils Robs

Women’s Winner: Corbett Wicks
photo credit: Egils Robs

Full results are available here.

Have you ever DNF’d? What happened?

11 Responses to Mendon Trail Run 50k (My First DNF)

1. Oh no – what a terrible time to get sick (not that anytime is good)! I’m sorry for your DNF. I haven’t had one myself, but that’s not to say I won’t one day. I imagine it’s tough to mentally make that decision mid-race.
    Feel better soon!

2. Sorry about the DNF, but I’m more surprised that you did as well as you did running with a fever. Impressive! I’d be at home in bed. Feel better!

3. fitfunmom says:

I’m so sorry about your DNF! Some things are just out of our control and you had some bad luck. I see a redemption race in your future. Not a fun way to end the current race season but you obviously did your best with what you were dealt.

4. FLRunnerBoy says:

Sorry to hear about the DNF!! I fortunately have never experienced a DNF but I have had to resort to walk a huge chunk of a 15K race I did a while back due to cramping. Rest up and get better soon!!!

5. Helena says:

Haven’t had one myself but I almost did! My first triathlon (Olympic distance) I finished dead last. I had a gnarly sinus infection and it was ridiculously hot. I pretty much walked the entire run because I was so dizzy. I didn’t feel dizzy walking so I finished the race that way. I was prepared to stop if the dizziness crept up while walking. I don’t know how you even ran the miles you did with a fever! Fevers always knock me on my butt. Hope you are feeling better!

6. Tim says:

Sorry to hear it! I was rooting for you in the series. I ran a shorter trail race with those kind of symptoms earlier this year and it was mind-bending. As for DNF, with so few truly long races to my credit I hardly qualify… but if you want to read a pretty similar experience from a view about a minute per mile behind you, check my report at http://beetbeetrunner.blogspot.com/

I had the same kind of day on that course in those conditions, but I can’t imagine having to do it with a fever, especially. You had a really busy and successful season. Chalk it up to that and get some rest/crosstraining and trust next season will be that much better!

7. jljohnson says:

I’m so sorry, but good call on stopping listening to your body! You may have been able to push through but with a fever? I’m impressed you even showed up and ran what you did!

I had signed up for my first marathon right after surgery for my migraines and wasn’t able to finish. I had ZERO training and while I was certain I could have walked the rest of the way, I felt awful: achy and sore and exhausted. It’s now my goal race for 2015!

8. Angie says:

So sorry about the DNF. You were running very well for the first half. Fevers are tough to handle and I think you’re not really supposed to run/race with a fever. I’ve never DNF’d because I DNS’d instead (did not show).

9. Oh no! But you were certainly smart to drop– think how sick you might have made yourself if you’d kept pushing! Bummer way to end your season, though. 😟

10. Pingback: 2014: My Races | Must Love Jogs