53 Marathons in 53 Days.

IMG_0450.JPG

Amy Hughes, a 26-year-old sports therapist from West Felton (Shropshire, England), recently completed her 53rd marathon in 53 days! In doing so, she broke the women’s record of 17 consecutive marathons, set by American Parvaneh Moayedi, and she surpassed the men’s record of 52.

IMG_0449

Amy Hughes has been raising money for the Isabelle Lottie Foundation – a charity set up in 2014 to support children and their families following the diagnosis of a brain tumor.

Click here for a list of the cities Amy ran in. Her goal is to raise a total of £53,000.00. She is currently at £31,529.74, but she has until March 27, 2015, to reach her goal. Click here if you are interested in donating. Amy was also trying to raise awareness about staying fit and keeping active.

In case you are curious, Amy is a sub-four hour marathoner. And her inspiration for this amazing feat? None other than Dean Karnazes. Check out Dean’s book here.

Amy’s mom wins the quote of the day:

“I didn’t speak to her for a week after she told me what she was planning because I thought she was completely mental. When she got to five and said she was okay, that’s when I thought she could do it.”

Amy covered nearly 1400 miles in less than two months!! How far do you think you could run in two months?

9 Responses to 53 Marathons in 53 Days.

1. Shawna says:

WOW — talk about making everyone else in the world look/feel lazy! this girl is amazing and so inspiring. I’d love to be able to do something like this — if my legs wouldn’t fall off 🙂

2. Chris P says:

Wow, she’s very inspirational! I think the maximum I could do in 2 months is maybe 500 miles. 1400 miles in less than 2 months is incredible!

3. That is seriously incredible. I’m so amazed by people who do things that like because mentally and physically it just seems impossible!

4. jaymeball13 says:

Absolutely incredibly amazing.

5. FLRunnerBoy says:

You know how she accomplished this amazing feat right?? She was wearing Brooks lol … “Run Happy!”

6. Holy cow Amy is amazing! I love Dean’s books too, and find them inspiring myself, but can’t say they’d motivate me to run quite so many marathons in a row 🙂

7. bgddyjim says:

I could ride that easy (actually have done 1,500 in two months a couple of times) but run it? Good God no! That’s amazing.

8. PNWRunner says:

All I can say is “WOW!” Talk about beastmode.

9. andy says:

I normally do 1, maybe 2 marathons a year. This year I’m doing 3. I’ve run 14 marathons ever. This girls is AMAZING.