Bia GPS Sport Watch with SOS Alert

IMG_0315.JPG

Today’s post is about a very cool product that started as a Kickstarter. Cheryl Kellond and Sylvia Marino raised a little over $400,000 for their multi-sport watch project.

However, this isn’t just any multi-sport watch. The Bia Multi-Sport GPS has:

• SOS Safety Alert (more on this below)
  • 17-hour battery life
  • 50m water resistance
  • heart rate monitor compatibility
  • wireless date uploads
  • very fast GPS connectivity
  • touchscreen

IMG_0317.PNG

What makes this watch unique is the SOS safety feature.

In trouble on a solo workout? Just hold down the button on your Bia for 3-seconds. We’ll send a text message and a map of your exact location to your loved ones. We’ll update your location every minute until you cancel the alert. All you need is a 2G cellular connection – anywhere in the world – no subscription required. Bia has you covered.

As far as I know, this is the only GPS watch with a safety feature like this. Not only will it help you out when you come across a creeper, it is a useful feature in the event of an injury or if you just get lost!

IMG_0318.PNG

The Bia GPS Sport Watch with SOS Alert is $279 and it comes in a variety of colors.

I have not actually tried this product – it is something that I stumbled across that struck me as a very good idea!

Since this post is related to safety, you may also want to consider pepper spray – only $11.95 at Running Warehouse.

Do you worry about your safety on runs?

Do you carry a phone? Pepper spray?

• This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Bia GPS Sport Watch with SOS Alert

1. Epi Ren says:

I’m a big guy who grew up in the murder capital of the world and now goes to school in the murder capital of the US. Anyway, it’s been my experience on runs in the city and on the trails that people see ME as a threat. So I carry just my phone, which serves as my GPS and watch. But I wouldn’t mind buying this for my wife. She says her phone is too big to carry on runs. She takes the well-trained German Shepherd, but I still worry. That idea of an SOS button is not bad at all. And thanks for the pepper spray link. I’ll take a look at that for her, too, since guns can be so bulky sometimes. (Kidding about the guns. I hate the idea of them. Understand the need for them, but don’t care to go there.)

2. Angie says:

What a cool product. I’m typically more worried about large predators but during the summer we get a lot of transient types through town and sometimes they camp at remote spots that I often run to and it does creep me out. I always carry bear spray (the big can) and a phone which means I always have to wear a small pack to hold all my personal protective equipment. That would be way easier than digging out my phone, unlocking it and trying to text or call someone.

3. Always my phone and if running at night or in a more secluded area, my pepper spray. This product is great!

4. CeeJayKay says:

WOW! I could seriously use one if these!!! I also use my phone but her it’s the one thing that I would get accosted for here so this would be an amazing backup!

5. Rachel B says:

Haha I love that you added a link to pepper spray! Definitely made me laugh 🙂 I’ve heard good thing about that watch. I ran part of a race with a woman who had it on and she said she thought the connectivity was much better than her husband’s Garmin. More accurate results and such. Thanks for the info!

6. Cassy says:

Ooh this watch looks super cool! Love that it’s a touchscreen too. It depends on where I’m running if I’m worried about safety or not. If I’m running in the dark in my neighborhood, then yeah, I’ll always be cautious or bring someone along with me. But if I’m just running at the park or something, it’s not much of an issue.

7. bgddyjim says:

Pepper spray? LOL, when I ride in dangerous locales I carry something with a little more pop, if you will. Legally of course.

That is a really good idea. I hope more watches come out with that safety feature, it’s so smart.

9. bpangie says:

Pretty cool, though in these parts, the Catamounts would probably just leave my chewed off arm on the ground and who knows where my body would be…

Did you see the Runscribe thing on Kickstarter. Some pretty cool features might catch your fancy.

Pretty cool. Ha, I could’ve definitely used that a few times (like with the creeper), but I’d be waaaay too tempted to prank my loved ones with it. That’d be a bad prank though – like the marathon I was in where the runner tracking stopped working at mile 10. My family was freaking out.

11. Pingback: Final Reflections on Virgil Crest. | Must Love Jogs