Next Stop: Virgil Crest

Virgil Crest Ultras - Elevation Profile

Virgil Crest Ultras – Elevation Profile

It’s official! I’m signed up for the Virgil Crest 50-miler. It’s on September 20th – less than four weeks away!

As you can tell by the elevation chart above, it’s a tough one! The 50-mile course is +/- 12,000 feet. Not only that, the race has some tough competition.

The 2012 winner, Jeff Rixe, is already registered. In addition, the 2013 runner up, Andy Vermilyea, is also registered. So far there are 80 entrants in the 50-mile race.

However, things are actually more complicated than that! The race policy is:

If a 100-mile runner drops at the 50-mile mark ahead of the lead 50-mile entrant, the 100-mile runner will be awarded the top 50-mile place.

Normally, this would not be an issue. However, ultra star Sebastien Roulier is registered in the 100. This year alone, he has run 6:22 for 50 miles (1st overall at Salomon Trail Running Festival at Pineland Farms), 8:56 for 100km (1st overall at NJ Trail Festival) and 16:46 for 100 miles (6th overall at Vermont 100). He is the real deal.

I’m definitely looking forward to this race. The course is another Ian Golden creation, so you know it will be tough. Also, I’m considering the 100 for next year (it is a UTMB qualifier) and this will give me a good idea of what I’m up against.

Here’s a pretty cool video of the 100 (although the course has changed):

When is your next race?

What is your favorite fall race?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Next Stop: Virgil Crest

1. Chris P says:

Wow, good luck Jason!

2. WalkToRio says:

Looks like a really nice race.
    I like all night races over fall, I already signed up for 2, one in Seville and another one is Lisbon. Views in Lisbon are spectacular.

3. Ren says:

Good luck! The wife and I just did two miles on a trail with a ton of ups and downs, so I felt like I achieved something for like ten minutes before I read this.

Thanks for that.

4. Good observation about Roulier. He is running Stone Cat on Nov 8th too so if he is having a bad day he might want to not risk that event. But the UTMB qualifer might be helpful for him to stick to the 100. He will be challenged there by Denis Mikhaylov.

Because a 50k is not enough. ha.

6. dgobs says:

Holy elevation, Batman! Godspeed! πŸ™‚

7. My jaw dropped when I saw that elevation chart. I can’t even imagine…
    I’d be so stressed out & irritated over that policy if a 100 mile runner drops at 50 and happens to be first, they will be awarded it. But races can do what they want – I’m glad your excited for it!

8. PNWRunner says:

Wow! 50 miles?! I bet you feel so good/dead tired afterwards!

9. dude, that’s some sweet vert!

10. txa1265 says:

I remember last year when I started thinking about an Ultra I saw this one and it is only an hour or so away, have a friend who has run a few dozen ultras but DNF last year in Virgil Crest … and decided – maybe after getting a more moderate ultra under my belt πŸ™‚

Good luck!

11. Pingback: A Speedy Recovery | Must Love Jogs

12. charissarunning says:

Wow, that’s some crazy elevation!!!

13. I love peeking into the world of ultra running; it humbles me and invokes awe. Good luck!