Mo’ People Mo’ Problems

IMG_0151.JPG

The New York Times has a story today called The Downside of Running With Others. It’s a nice story that highlights some of the pros and cons of running with other people.

Personally, I like to run alone. As far as I’m concerned, the less people around, the better. This is true for training and racing. Perhaps, it is even one of the reasons that I prefer trails to roads. I have no issue running 31 miles – or even 50 miles – by myself. No running partner. No music. No podcasts.

People shouldn’t take it personally. It doesn’t mean that you aren’t my friend. It doesn’t mean that I don’t like you. Seriously, it’s not you, it’s me.

Maybe I’d go faster running with other people. Maybe I’d run for longer. However, at the same time, maybe I wouldn’t get what I want out of the run.

Pros of Going Alone:
– speed up whenever I want
– slow down whenever I want
– stop whenever I want
– no talking
– no listening

Cons of Going Alone:

There you have it!

16 Responses to Mo’ People Mo’ Problems

1. songbird128 says:

Agreed. That’s all.

2. Sweaty Mess says:

Agreed! I want to run faster or longer because I make myself, not because I’m trying to keep up.

3. Bryan says:

I don’t mind running with one other person, so long as we are at the same fitness level. I end up running alone most of the time because, really, whose schedule allows them to do a 3+ hour long run on a Friday morning? Alone is fine for me, but I’ll make an exception occasionally. I attribute my PW (personal worst) marathon to the fact that is was a huge race.

4. FLRunnerBoy says:

I totally get you 100%!! I’ve been a lone wolf since day one. I have only had others accompany me on runs a handful of times

5. veryrach says:

When I run with other people, I feel more accountable for my actions. If it’s just me on a run, I tend to slack off (oops).

6. Angie says:

I run with my dog and she goes with me anywhere for as long as I go and doesn’t talk.

7. Rachel B says:

I do most of my training alone, but for big adventures I try to find buddies.. mostly so if I fall 10 miles back in the wilderness I don’t get eaten by a grizzly bear or get hypothermia… I do miss the sense of camaraderie that I had with my running team in college and I really love getting out for long runs with friends, but I think for training and especially workouts I like to be alone and focus on myself.

8. Dan Button says:

I normally prefer running solo, but with track workouts or hard tempos, I’m more than happy to go with someone faster/similar fitness to share the burden of pacing.

9. pauldburton says:

Lone runner most of the time except for track practice. Then it’s good to have people to beat and some that you cannot. It is also very interesting to see the different running styles.

I prefer alone or with one other person. I like to make my own schedule and time.

11. I prefer alone too, which is probably strange considering that I was on teams up until graduating college, but even then I enjoyed the days where my coach would have me do a solo workout. I also think it helps my racing sometimes because I’m not used to running with people anymore so I just get that much more competitive!

12. runsaltrun says:

I prefer to run alone, but I did get the first time experience of running with others last weekend for a couple miles. It’s not something that I could do all the time, but I did see the appeal of it for short distances while I was out there!

13. So glad I am not alone in my views of running alone 🙂 Although, I was part of a running group once and made great friends that way.

14. runrodrun says:

I remember a friend of mine saying to me when I was first running “It’s fine to run on your own now but when you start running more than 20km you’re gonna want to have some company.” I wondered to myself, “How well do you know me???”.