Six Days in the Dome.

anchorage2

Six Days in the Dome

There is a race going on right now in Alaska called Six Days in the Dome. The race website states that it is the first competitive six-day indoor track race held since La Rochelle in 1994. Six Days in the Dome offered an option for a 24-hour race, a 48-hour race and a six-day race.

The race takes place in the dome (dome dimensions: 601 feet long x 290 feet wide x 87.5 feet high) on a 400m track – one of the only 400m indoor tracks in the world.

Zach Bitter

20140806-071305-25985438.jpg

Zach Bitter took a shot at the 100-mile World Record, but it was not to be – he ended up finishing 100.23 miles in 12:08:24 (7:16/mile).

20140806-071305-25985584.jpg

Traci Falbo

20140806-071305-25985635.jpg

Traci Falbo is currently working on a World Record of her own. She is trying to break the 48-hour world track record – as of 6:41am EST, she had completed 200 miles. That’s right – in the last 39 hours and 41 minutes, she ran 200 miles.

Valmir Nunes vs. Kenji Okiyama

20140806-075501-28501103.jpg

Valmir Nunes once held a 50-lap lead over Kenji Okiyama in the six-day race. However, as he slept, he was passed… and Kenji just kept on running. Don’t read too much into it – this one has a long way to go!

There is a $1000 prize for the first runner to hit 600 miles in the six-day event. Will anyone be able to do it?

For live results, click here.

Also, check out the live cam here for some scintillating action on the track!

15 Responses to Six Days in the Dome.

1. songbird128 says:

Wow!! This is so cool! I would LOVE to do this race someday. It’s Google time!!! :)))

You always open my eyes to ultra running. Never stop blogging.

3. WalkToRio says:

Wow! Indoor running is painful enough, hats off to all those who try this. I don’t think I could.

Valmir looks so comfy there lol

4. Mark says:

Daaaaaaaammmnnn!! (that’s the most constructive/participating thing I can say)

5. I’m going to say this, if you want me to run 600+ miles in 6 days… you better be offering me more than $1k because I’ll need more than that for the 3 week beach vacation I would need following that run.

6. pauldburton says:

I wonder why Traci is running with two iPod shuffles. Surely, when one dies you swap it out…

7. That sounds terrible. If I were in AK, I would want to be outside 95% of the time. Think of all the cool trails you could see in 6 days!

Wow, crazy! I’ve been to Alaska a couple times, and actually spectated at a race. It was freezing and these fools were only wearing shorts. Does make sense to have an indoor race there tho.

9. Pingback: Six Days in the Dome: Update | Must Love Jogs

10. Sweaty Mess says:

I got bored 200m into my first track workout, I can’t imagine trying to run on it for 6 days.