Training Data.

data

Nowadays, there are lots of fancy ways to keep track of running information. You can track distance, speed, vertical, maps, heart rate, calories, etc. Each year, it seems like there is a new thing to track! Not only that, social media allows you to share your workouts with others.

strava

I don’t use Strava, although I’ve been considering it. I do like looking at other people’s info on Strava. For example, click here to check out Rob Krar’s splits from Western States (Mile 89 – 6:36 LOL). Click here to see Ian Sharman’s splits from Western States.

MMF_logo_RUN_stacked_2c

I do use MapMyRun occasionally. I usually take my phone with me when I run and MapMyRun is a really simple app to use. The GPS/speed/vertical aren’t that accurate, but they aren’t terrible either. MapMyRun will store your routes for you and you can try and improve on your times.

garmin_connect_logo

I do have a Garmin and I use it occasionally. I never look at it while I am actually running but I do like to put my workouts on my computer and look at splits, hills and maps. It is particularly useful if I’m going to be doing a trail race and I want to know where certain markers are on the course.

Nathan-Training-Log-Plus

This is my go-to method of tracking my information. This training log is available here for $7.95. You can’t beat that!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I spoke too soon! You can beat that! Old school. Most of you are probably too young, but all of us used to keep track of our workouts this way! I definitely still have some of my old “records” around somewhere.

How do you keep track of your runs?

Do you share the info with others or is it for personal use?

How often do you go back and look at it?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Training Data.

1. Erik says:

I record my runnings with my Polar RC3 GPS and “polarpersonaltrainer”. I also keep track of a few parameters in an excel sheet (distance, time, speed, running index, HF av, HFmax, training load, some comments), it’s easier to get a quick overview.
    It is for personal use. Incidentally, I post it on my blog.
    On a regular basis, I take a look at it – several times a week. It helps to make a few adjustments to training plans or find an explanation for injuries, etc.

2. I use Garmin to collect and share my data. I also use Garmin for some analysis.
    When I’m training for a marathon I use Excel to keep track of my miles and my miles to plan. Seems easier to use the spread sheet to me.

3. Jane Likes to Run says:

I keep track of my runs like you do. And I’m under 30, so hopefully that’s not too old school! I use mapmyrun occasionally. Usually just in long runs or trail runs but I don’t share the data. I don’t really know how to keep the creepers from seeing exactly where I live, so I figured it’s best just not to share.

4. KelsieLou says:

I have a small binder with print out blank month pages. I record miles, time and pace. I add other important life events so I can plan training. I have calendars printed through Dec 2015. I plug in races too and reminders for price increases. I’ll hole punch a race flyer and toss in there. Keeps everything tidy.

5. Dan Button says:

I use a running planner similar to the Nathan one. I order a few off Amazon every year and give them out to friends who have recently started running. I find that taking a few hours/day to write down the training plan for next few months really helps me commit to it and get pumped about it. I put down planned mileage and workouts along with races and goal times/paces, everything is in pencil though, I’ll erase and modify as I go.

6. FLRunnerBoy says:

I have actually been using Strava since December when I switch from Garmin to the Soleus GPS watch. That’s how I log and track my workouts now. I typically only refer to it once a week when I upload my runs for the week from my watch. I usually look back to previous workouts during the summer months when I’m especially hard on myself. Then when I look back I realize that I’m not being lazy with my training but the the Florida summers have a way of humbling you.

I used to use dailymile a lot to record runs but right now I’m currently just logging on an excel spreadsheet. It’s helping me keep track of my personal running versus comparing to anyone else.

I like my Garmin 10 because it’s simple and easy.

8. I use Runtastic on my phone when I run. But I don’t always run with it. To track total miles, this is the first year I’ve done it, I had gotten a “Runner’s Day by Day log” for Christmas from my Mother. I’ve been writing all my runs it, and so far have been keeping it up to date!

I personally use an abucus to track my workouts. But that’s just me, I’m really old school.

10. Piper's Run says:

Other then having a Garmin,I’m old school too. I track my runs in with pen and paper in my own log book. I keep note of how many km I’m running each week and month and compare sometimes.

11. osarah26 says:

I would love to work on a paper calendar & notebook – I alternate between using Garmin & an iPhone app called Runtastic because it’s easier and quicker, but I would love to be able to track more data.

12. Kevin says:

I am a Garmin Connect guy, and my account – http://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/kbomb71 – has every run and race I’ve ever done for more than the last 6 years. I used to also sync them to DailyMile because I could track the mileage on my pairs of shoes, but when Garmin upgraded its site the ability to sync with DM went away. The info is there to be shared with others, although I don’t think anyone looks at it. I go back every now and then and look at some of the old runs – particularly the memorable ones.

13. Kathleen says:

I’ve got a training log book- and I also have my Tom Tom synced to Runkeeper but more for socialization than stats.

14. masher52 says:

I use Daily Mile for overall mileage, but will use the Garmin Connect to check out splits from a race. I used to keep everything in the old Runner’s World Training Logs, which definitely bring back many memories.