Race-Day Photos

Nowadays, nearly every race has race-day pictures. Unfortunately, most of us don’t look like this guy during a run:

runner-t

I don’t know about you, but since more often than not I look terrible, I don’t buy the pictures. However, photographer Larry Gassan has taken a different approach – beginning in 2004, he started photographing people after they finished 100-mile runs (Western States 100 and Angeles Crest 100). Below, I’ve included some pretty fantastic pictures from the last three years:

Timothy Olson & Friends (2012) photo credit: Larry Gassan

Timothy Olson & Friends (2012)
photo credit: Larry Gassan

Stephanie Howe (2014) photo credit: Larry Gassan

Stephanie Howe (2014)
photo credit: Larry Gassan

Larisa Dannis (2014) photo credit: Larry Gassan

Larisa Dannis (2014)
photo credit: Larry Gassan

If you are interested in more, check out Larry’s website here.

Do you prefer these post-race photos or the ones that most races provide?

Would you smile for the camera? Strike a pose?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Race-Day Photos

1. laurelleg says:

I think I am genetically programmed to smile whenever I see a camera. My sisters do it too. Doesn’t matter what we are doing, as soon as we see a camera pointed at us we smile! Hopefully that will work in our favor when one of my sisters and I run our half marathon together!

2. bgddyjim says:

I like the action shots better… By a lot. It would be better for us if, say 400′ before the photographer ambushed you there was a big sign that said “smile” or something. I’ve had a few really awesome ones and a few bad ones.

I like the in action shots better. I’ve bought a few photos that are memorable to me but other than that I never buy photos.

4. Maria says:

I like the post race photos. I feel like it gives them an opportunity, now that they aren’t hating life and enjoying the fact that they’ve completed the race, to have fun and keep it light. That being said I’d strike some silly pose.

5. KelsieLou says:

I agree with Maria on the post race photos. Greater sense of accomplishment can be captured after the finish line.

6. I personally love candid shots especially at the finish line. During the race I usually look TERRIBLE, lol!

7. runwright says:

His pics are cool but I could pose with my medal anytime so that’s not enough of an incentive to buy the pic. What I don’t have lots of is during-the-race pics so if I finally got one at a great angle, like If I EVER looked as good during a race as that first photo of the guy smiling, I’d be willing to buy that 🙂

8. FLRunnerBoy says:

I look like death in most of my race photos. The only good one I have is my current avi. I prefer post-race pics and I would soooo strike a pose haha!

9. Haha! I’m pretty sure you saw my ‘wonderful’ jump over the fire picture 😀 xoxo

10. I always look HEINOUS during race photos! Like I look 100x more in pain than I actually am. The fact that someone would think I’d actually pay for them is hilarious!!

‘waiting moderation…” You really don’t trust me, do you? Haha!
    Seriously, these pics are cool. I would definitely pose – but I always ham it up for the camera, so no surprise there.