A Rainy Day Workout.

running-uphill-650x433-e1368072571548

The other day, I was stuck inside on the treadmill and I did one of my favorite workouts – and now I’m going to share it with you!

It’s actually pretty simple:

6.0
0.0
5.0
Distance
1.2 mile

_________________________________

These are the speeds that I do the workout at – I feel pretty comfortable at the start but it’s definitely work by the time the incline is at 5%. Obviously, you could do the workout at a slower or faster speed. Also, feel free to adjust the incline. If you don’t feel that you’re ready for 5%, 6% or 7%, go up by half a percent each time instead of a full percent. Finally, I warm up two miles before this workout and I cooldown with a mile.

While I don’t love the treadmill, I think it can be a useful tool for training. It would be very difficult to replicate this workout outside. Not only that, this gives you a nice variation in grade that you would not be able to get with outdoor hill repeats. This workout, as is, gets you about 1,000 feet of vertical.

Do you incorporate a treadmill into your training?

How do you train for hills?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Workouts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to A Rainy Day Workout.

1. atwinthing33 says:

I hate the “dreadmill.” I am currently using it as a clothes rack! I prefer it that way.

2. hmetz20 says:

Looks like a great workout! I will definitely have to try it out. I usually don’t do any planned hill workouts, but I do try to incorporate hills into my daily runs… we have more than enough hills were I live πŸ™‚ Do you find, though, by added a hill work during your week has helped you perform better during race day?

I’m not completely sure – it’s hilly here too and I used to just rely on that. Since I’ve started doing hill workouts, I’ve gotten faster, but I changed other things too, so I’m not sure I can attribute the speed to the hills. I’ll keep you posted πŸ™‚

3. I don’t know how you do it! I can run outside forever, but barely last 20 minutes on the treadmill… On the plus side, living in Scotland, training on hills isn’t a problem. Finding a flat route for a tempo run is almost impossible though! πŸ˜‰

4. jbfit360 says:

Looks like an awesome workout ESP on a rainy day!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

I do think treadmills are great for certain workouts that aren’t feasible outdoors. It’s also good for getting exactly what you want and the conditions for certain courses. I don’t mind the treadmill.

6. runwright says:

The last time I was on a treadmill was about a year ago. I def see the value in it during the winter but I much prefer to be outside when I can.

7. FLRunnerBoy says:

I do incorporate the treadmill mainly for tempos and to simulate hills when training for specific races where I’m trying to mimic the race course. Annnd yes there are races in Florida with hills haha πŸ™‚

8. charissarunning says:

That looks like a great hill workout! I would definitely try it out (though a little slower and I’ll take your advice on increasing the incline by 0.5!).
    I’m actually a huge fan of the treadmill because you have so much control over speed and incline. My town is really hilly so it’s hard to do tempo runs outside. Plus, I’m training for a pretty flat marathon course, so I need to make sure my legs are able to handle the monotony of running on a flat surface for a long period of time.

9. I actually don’t mind the treadmill. This sounds like a great workout! I’d have to adjust the speed for sure though lol!

Me hate treadmill. I do like hills though for some reason. Though since I’ve been doing track workouts, the hill repeats have faded. I only run on the treadmill when there is absolutely no choice – I do like that you can run a constant speed, but I don’t like the monotony and how it doesn’t replicate outdoors – turns, wind, etc.

11. This workout does sound like fun! I generally avoid running on a treadmill when I can do it outside; however, I definitely love playing around with the speed and incline once I’m on it. It makes for a great workout and the time flies by πŸ™‚ xoxo