The UltraInclinathon

The Manitou Incline

The Manitou Incline

The Manitou Incline

The Incline is located in Manitou Springs, just outside of Colorado Springs. It is what is left of an old funicular railway whose tracks were lost in a rockslide in 1990. The Incline starts at 6600 feet of elevation and gains over 2000 feet of vertical in less than one mile. The steepest part of the incline has a 68% grade. Notably, the Empire State Building Run-Up (from the ground floor to the 86th floor observation deck) gains 1050 feet of vertical.

The UltraInclinathon

Brandon Stapanowich

Brandon Stapanowich

Starting on July 4th, Brandon Stapanowich took 22 round trips of the incline in a 24-hour period. In other words, he covered 44,000 feet of vertical – over 8 miles – in one day.

“Running is an expression of freedom; it’s when I have my best thoughts and it’s when I’m the happiest. And it’s just nice to be outside and enjoying the outdoors.” – B.S.

Kevin Bacon

Kevin Bacon Incline Selfie

Kevin Bacon Incline Selfie

In other incline news (seriously), Kevin Bacon tackled the incline the same week Brandon made his 22 round trips. He wrote on Facebook that it almost killed him. Kevin finished the incline in 54:02.

Base_of_the_Manitou_Incline_May_2013

Notable Incline Accomplishments

– the fastest incline ever was done by Mark Fretta (16:42)
– Apolo Anton Ohno completed the incline in 17:45
– Pikes Peak running legend Matt Carpenter “ran” the incline in 18:31
– Greg Cummings was the first person to complete more than 500 ascents in one year
– in 2013, Roger Austin went up the incline 719 times
– Ed Baxter is the first known person to “run” a marathon on the incline – he made 13 consecutive up/down trips in just over 13 hours

Do you think you would try the incline?

***The incline will be closed from August to November for repairs***

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to The UltraInclinathon

1. HC says:

Not sure if I could run the whole thing, but it’d be fun to try!

2. emmelineruns says:

I’ve always wanted to try this! A good friend of mine lives right near it and she tries to go once each week and always better her time just a little. Looks like a particularly sadistic kind of fun πŸ˜‰

I was actually in Manitou Springs – but for a different race, so I never got to try it. I’d definitely like to go back! And I’m hoping Kevin Bacon will be there!

3. Holly schmolly! That’s a serious incline. I’d love to try it for sure! It wouldn’t matter how long it’d take πŸ™‚ xoxo

4. Just looking at those photos makes me hurt everywhere – what an amazing and crazy achievement for Brandon!

5. I did it a few weeks ago with my husband, who is just starting to work on getting in shape. It took us a long time but he made it and I was proud. Sometime I’d like to try it for time though.

6. Also, I don’t think I’d try any running until after it’s repaired– there are a lot if jagged pipes and torn up railroad ties that scare me.

7. Looks amazing and I like different type of races. These hill climb events just look like they wouild kill my knees.

8. I’ve done the incline!!! It’s a must when traveling to CO for fitness nerds! Although, I live in the wonderful state, so I’m spoiled! But the incline is a blast. Hard, for sure, but a blast. And there’s a lovely three mile trail to get down that is just the right decline for a fun trail run down!!

9. bgddyjim says:

Uh, no. chance. Maybe in a mountain bike. πŸ˜‰

10. I was there while Brandon set his record! I did the Half on the Fourth on July 4th in Colorado Springs, and then my husband and I did the Manitou Incline the morning of the 5th. Talk about a “recovery” workout! He passed us on the way up and a man behind him explained what he was doing – Brandon was very focused on his way up with headphones in, not speaking to anyone, but he was more relaxed and chatting as he came down, and said “thanks!” when I told him “good job!”. That guy was a MACHINE.

That’s awesome! Very cool that you got to witness it! Any chance you saw Kevin Bacon too? πŸ™‚

• I missed him by a few days, unfortunately – but he kicked my butt on the time up. We were close to 1 hour, 20 min, but I took many rest stops. I’d love to see my time NOT post-half marathon. It was my birthday weekend so I was just looking to have fun! πŸ™‚

Happy Birthday (a little late)!! That sounds like a good way to spend it πŸ™‚

11. Lucas says:

Brandon is a beast. Ran with him when first moved out here and seeing his progression is incredible. His first 100 at leadville a few years ago was awesome to see as well, finished 7th I think

12. susanruns says:

The Incline. Oh, the Incline. I basically blocked it out of my memory until I read the post I wrote about it: http://www.susanruns.com/2011/07/24/surviving-colorado-springs-the-incline-edition/

God bless anyone who does that 22 times in a row. (And can you post pictures of his butt? He must have some serious glutes from all those stairs.)

13. Pingback: Urban Zemmer Goes Vertical. | Must Love Jogs