Just a Nuisance

achilles-tendonitis

Howdy!

I’m just back from vacation (more on that in a later post), and I’m getting back into the swing of things at home. I had a few good runs by the beach, but the last two days, I’ve been hampered by a nagging pain in my left achilles tendon.

Achilles tendonitis has been by nuisance problem over the years. I can remember having issues as far back as high school (which is getting to be a long time ago *sniffle*). My worst bout of achilles tendonitis was right before the Boston Marathon in 2005. It has been largely absent since that time, although it does appear now and again.

When it appears, I go through the usual treatment: RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevate) – and for the most part, it goes away as quickly and as mysteriously as it appeared. I take it as a sign that my training is getting a little overheated. Or perhaps, this time, it is because I started training pretty aggressively only a few weeks after a fifty miler.

Regardless, I don’t think it’s going to be a huge issue.

knock-on-wood

Did anyone besides Scott miss my blog posts?

How has your week been going?

How do you deal with nuisance injuries?

14 Responses to Just a Nuisance

1. atwinthing33 says:

This week needs to be over!!!!! It is my last day before summer and we have been moving boxes and boxes of junk to different classrooms!!!!! It sucks. Runnin has been good but I need to get on my training and find a good ultra and a good 70.3

2. I pressed the like button, although I don’t like the sound of this at all and hope you get better soon. Like you, I take little niggles as a sign that my body needs rest and act on that – by resting mostly, but also gentle stretches and RICE as required. If I am sensible, I find that it never really turns into a full blown injury – good luck to you!

3. I missed your posts!!! Oh, and I hope your tendonitis feels better soon 🙂 As for my week, it’s been pretty good, apart from Italy getting kicked out by Uruguay. This Sunday, I am finally running the Spartan Sprint which I am super duper excited about!!! Woop woop! Injuries? Hate them lol! I never know how to deal with them apart from resting. xoxo

4. Angie says:

I don’t like nuisance injuries as I tend not to rest long enough and they just keep coming back or get really bad and then I have no choice but to rest (for much longer). I hope you feel better soon!

5. leerunsdistances says:

Definitely feeling your pain. My problem area is my right Achilles and I battle with PF issues. All I do for them is RICE

I hope it gets better soon!! Hahaha, nope, I’m the only one who missed the posts.

7. Scott D. says:

No fun… I’ve had my share of problems over the years: plantar fasciitis, IT Band and now a hamstring pull. Never fun when one of those maladies pops up. Hope your issue goes away and stays away.

8. Hey now! I wondered where you were. 🙂

Sorry to hear about your nagging pain but I hope it gets better as quickly as it came.

9. Was wondering where you were!
    Bummer out your leg pain 😦 I”ve also been dealing with nagging foot pain after my night 27k. It’s feeling better but I want it to GO AWAY.

10. Cassy says:

Hope your pain starts to feel better! I typically do the same thing when my knees start to give me issues – RICE + back off training for a little. Good luck!