A Training Update and A Summer/Fall Racing Plan

burns

TRAINING

It’s been a little over two weeks since my 50-miler. My body finally feels recovered. While there is a part of me that has enjoyed going on short, easy runs every day, there is another part that wants to start training hard again. Yesterday, I decided to take the training wheels off and go with a few mile repeats. I ran them here:

Barry Park

Barry Park

I did three repeats (with plenty of recovery) and I split 6:05, 6:01 and 5:54, respectively. Not bad at all for a first “hard” run back! Now, I know I’m ready to get back to work!!

And that is the perfect segway into my racing plans!

RACING

I’m planning to run the Cazenovia 10-Miler on Fourth of July. The course consists of lots of rolling hills as it circles Cazenovia Lake. I ran the Mountain Goat 10-Miler in 57:21 earlier this year, so using that as a reference point, I’ve come up with a goal of 58:20 (5:50/mile).

Green Lakes 50k

Green Lakes State Park

Green Lakes State Park

I just about lost sleep over this one but I’ve decided on the Green Lakes 50k. I really wanted to do the 100k, but I couldn’t seem to get my legs on board. Last year, in my first ultra ever, I ran 3:37:26 (6:59/mile) and came in second. This year, I will be going for the win and taking a shot at Michael Daigeaun’s course record of 3:28:27 (6:42/mile).

Virgil Crest 50-Miler

If all goes well at Green Lakes, I’ll also run the 50-Miler at Virgil Crest. This is another Ian Golden race – so of course, it’s a monster. He describes the course as a “nasty serpentine configuration.” It gains/loses about 12,000 feet over the course of 50 miles. Cole Crosby has the course record in 8 hours even – and the second fastest time ever was run by ultra superstar, Aliza Lapierre (8:29), and she was the outright winner in 2009.

The course profile looks something like this:

Virgil Crest Ultras - Elevation Profile

Virgil Crest Ultras – Elevation Profile

Empire State Marathon

This is not a sure thing, but it is in the back of my mind. I came in second last year and I’d like to try for a win this time around. Also, I’d like to get my marathon time under 2:40… we’ll see what happens!

JFK 50-Miler

There is a very slim chance I’ll give this one a go…

AChance

Have you finalized your race plans for the rest of the year?

What race are you most looking forward to?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to A Training Update and A Summer/Fall Racing Plan

1. emmelineruns says:

That course profile looks downright evil. Suddenly I’m very glad I live where it is super flat and none of the races look like that! I’m most looking forward to the Columbus Marathon, both for the race itself and to spend a few days reliving my college days around town πŸ™‚

Haha, Ian (the RD) is the nicest guy but he has a sick sense of humor when designing race courses – this one runs through an area where there are lots of ski mountains – yikes!

Make sure you relive those college days after the race πŸ™‚

2. Chris P says:

I’m so glad you’ve recovered from the 50 miler. 50 miles! Wow! Good luck with your next race.

3. Great strategy! I’m so impressed that you’re aiming to win ultras… I just try to survive them with my dignity in place! πŸ˜‰ I really like that you are just listening to your body in terms of recovery… I very much do the same. I find that I bounce back immediately from some races, but sometimes after marathons, it takes me about 3 weeks before I find that I have any speed in my legs… I don’t know what makes the difference, but I’m not worried about that – all that matters is what my body tells me ! πŸ˜€

I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes it is a few days and sometimes it is a few weeks! I could barely walk ten days ago and now I’m running mile repeats – go figure!

4. Oh wow! It looks scary! But then you’re so strong and fast, I have no doubts you can hit and even surpass your goal. The picture from Dumb and Dumber cracked me up (very well chosen, sir), can’t wait for the new one to come out! xoxo

5. Awesome! Doesn’t it feel good to have a plan?!

6. Um… that course looks more like a saw than a race course…I love that you are willing to take it on, I on the other hand would run in the opposite direction..lol… you are amazing….

I’m running the Mohawk Hudson Marathon in October with hopes of BQing for 2016 and maybe if i’m lucky a new PR

Awesome, I know a bunch of people that have done that race and they all loved it!! I’ve wanted to do it but it closes out pretty quickly these days and I’m more of a last-minute decision maker!

7. leerunsdistances says:

Whoa! That’s one heavy schedule partner but I know you are up to the challenge. And my race schedule is pretty set in stone from now through the end of February. I have a series of 5K’s starting late September running through the end of November and I’m eyeing the Gasparilla Distance Classic Half in February for a new PR. November’s 5K event I haven’t run in a couple years but I’m the two time men’s champion and course record holder for the men. I want to go back and try and shave more time off my current record and make my record more secure

Awesome!! Through February!! That’s really great – are there a lot of races down there during the winter?

• leerunsdistances says:

There’s tons of races down here in the winter. But our race season is somewhat opposite of northerners. Winter is prime racing time because the temps are just perfect

Sounds like I need to take a winter vacation and do some racing!

• leerunsdistances says:

There’s some great races down here! Just sayin’ πŸ™‚

8. lljkline says:

JFK! JFK! 😁

9. txa1265 says:

Looks like you timed your comeback well with those splits – glad you’ve recovered! I have a fraternity friend who graduated RPI several years before me who ran Virgil Crest two years ago so I had seen the map … and yeah, that is nuts πŸ™‚

I am considering (and am wait-listed for) the Can Lake 50 in October, and likely do a couple of half-marathons before and after. I would like to run Wineglass or Empire State (or Baystate) but we have two birthdays in our house between those weekends, and they’ve been patient the last couple of years so I am skipping this year!

Wow! I didn’t realize the Can Lake 50 filled up this early. That’s unreal! I’d definitely like to do that race one of these years.

10. I think this sounds like a solid and tough group of races. I am glad you decided to go for the 50k record and I really hope you are able to get it. That would be awesome.

11. Steph D says:

You’re not the only one losing sleep about this. I’ll be having nightmares myself, and I’m not even the one running!

12. atwinthing33 says:

I just read this and it is funny because I used to train with a coach at Barry park and was just talking about going back. I love Barry park for the grass loop. I am looking into my first ultra this summer and I want to be for Boston…..I can’t wait

Best of luck to you! That elevation chart looks stoopid. The park you ran in looks Barry pretty though. I’m currently charting my race schedule for a plan of attack. I’m looking at some good local fall races (kinda too hot to race in summer). I’ll keep you waiting on pins and needles.

Does it cool off at night down there? You should start a midnight race series!!

And don’t think I didn’t notice that “Barry pretty” – I’ll let it slide this time!

14. irenejean says:

Wow, I’m impressed with your race line-up!

15. Funny, that picture pretty much looked like my heart rate as I was I imagining running 50 miles at your pace. LOL!! Very much looking forward to your fall races!!