Gluttony.

The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things by Hieronymus Bosch

The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things by Hieronymus Bosch

Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. However, these do not apply after running an ultramarathon. Therefore, I am already planning for my post-race celebration. Here are a few things that have crossed my mind:

A Strong Hearts Milkshake

stronghearts-shakes

Strong Hearts vegan milkshakes are amazing. I had one after the Mountain Goat Run and I will definitely be having one after the Cayuga Trails 50! There are so many amazing shakes to choose from but my favorites are Ernie Davis (Butterfinger) and Earth Crisis (Chocolate Peanut Butter). If you’re ever in the area, stop by and get one of these shakes – it will change your life.

Pancakes

A&A_panckae_stack

I’m not 100% sure pancakes are in my future, but they’re an option. I might be in more of a sandwich mood. Perhaps I’ll go straight to dessert. Maybe I’ll wait until the day after. All I know is that any food that has “cake” in the name must be good!

Mocha

mocha

This is a no-brainer. I will obviously need caffeine and coffee is just a little too boring to celebrate a fifty miler – so mocha it is! Who am I kidding – I’m sure there will be coffee too.

Beer

ommegang_hennepin

Here’s where things get tricky. After running fifty miles, I’m pretty sure I’ll only be able to handle one of these beers:

The Ommegang Hennepin comes in a 25.4oz bottle and is 7.7% ABV.

The Middle Ages Double IPA comes in a 22oz bottle and is 10% ABV.

Well… maybe I’ll be able to handle one of each 🙂

How do you celebrate after a big race?

What is your favorite post-race treat?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Gluttony.

1. emmelineruns says:

Those beers sound fantastic. I try to tailor my post-race feast to where I’m running. After Philly, I went for cheesesteaks and beer, in Columbus, I went to my favorite all you can eat restaurant from my college days. If I ever run in DC again, I’m going to my favorite Mexican place downtown 🙂

2. DarlinRae says:

I love brunch after a long run or race. Lots of coffee, potatoes, eggs and French toast. Yum!

3. Chris P says:

Great post! I usually prefer pasta or pancakes after marathons or very long runs, after drinking large quantities of juice. Sometimes I’ll eat lots of peanut butter. It depends.

4. Those milkshakes look AWESOME. What makes them vegan? And I eat pancakes before every long run or race, both because they have cake in the name and because they are delicious.

5. Jane Likes to Run says:

Yum. This is the best part about running. My go to post race indulgences are usually beer and ice cream. Especially DQ blizzards or Culver’s cement mixers.

6. They always offer beer at the end of races and I never understand why – the last thing I want after a race is a beer for some reason! I always want to go out for a big brunch

7. Everything sounds awesome!! I like to have a nice healthy meal after a race, I feel like it will do my body so good. And then a good dessert, my favorites are either a rich piece of cake or ice cream.

8. Great post and great list of post race treats. I love a nice cold beer after a race. Usually don’t get one since we have to drive home but when we car pool with friends, I make sure to grab one.

9. ewcollins says:

I’m usually not very hungry after a race. I will drink some seltzer and then drive home. Every race I do is a recovery run from my last race and a training run for my next one.

10. Hecke says:

darn, now I have a huuuuge craving. And I did not complete a 50 as an excuse 😦

11. runrodrun says:

I have a Denny’s opening up right next to my condo. I can definitely see it being the scene of a future post-race celebration!

Good luck in Cayuga!

Nice! If you follow my blog, then you know I love tacos post runs! But a close second is good drink – Guinness in particular!

13. restlessjo says:

Running and me have never been compatible, but I wish you luck 🙂