The Weather.

TWC_logo_84x84

A few months back, in January, I ran the Chilly Chili 5k and it was a balmy nine degrees.

temp2

This weekend, for the Cayuga Trails 50, it is going to be nearly eighty degrees and humid.

photo1

That’s a pretty substantial difference! Fortunately, it finally warmed up the last few weeks, so I have at least partially acclimated to the heat. With that being said, running fifty miles in nearly eighty degrees is going to be HOT.

Luckily, it won’t be this hot:

Running the white line at Badwater to prevent "shoe melt"

Running the white line at Badwater to prevent “shoe melt”

Scott Jurek stops for a dip in some ice water

Scott Jurek stops for a dip in some ice water

As I pointed out in a previous post:

Most of the improvements in heart rate, core and skin temp, and sweat rate are acquired in just one week of heat exposure. Heart rate adaptations are seen in just four to five days. However, increases in sweating can take up to one month to occur.

More is gained from a one hundred minute bout of heat exposure exercise than one fifty minute bout, but adding bouts beyond one hundred minutes of exposure did not quicken adaptation.

Heat exposure adaptations have been studied to disappear as quickly as one week if the subject is not re-placed in the heat, but may last as long as three weeks in some individuals.

I guess we’ll just have to see what happens!

How do you prepare yourself for training/racing in adverse conditions?

What are the worst conditions that you have raced in? Where was it? How did you do?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Weather.

1. emmelineruns says:

Worst conditions were temps of 97 with high humidity in an April (!) race in VA a few years ago, my race started around noon and it was absolutely brutal. I did terribly and walked often, I pretty much just tried to survive.

2. sueslaght says:

I find the change of seasons very challenging. Best of luck this weekend!
    I hope you wont think me intrusive but I wanted to let you know this post is not showing up in WordPress Reader meaning people cant find it unless they are following you.
    I think the reason is the number of tags you have used. If you use more than 15 on a post it won’t show up. Here is a link that explains.
    Feel free to delete this comment and again my apologies if I am overstepping.

Thank you – I didn’t know that! Does that mean we have to choose between showing up in Reader and showing up in search engine results? I’m fairly new to this and I’m curious what your take is.

• sueslaght says:

Jason I am no expert on SEO for sure. I do know that in your title or the first few lines of your post you want key words to help your search optimization in Google and such.
        To be more’ credible’ in Google’s eyes you need to be getting traffic to your site and one of the best ways to do that is by folks in WordPress visiting.
        So again I am no expert but one of the advantage of using WP is the marketing of yourself through the Reader. Also I guess a lot depends on what your ultimate goal in blogging is.

Thank you – that is very helpful!

• sueslaght says:

Happy to help and definitely encourage you to do some more reading on it. Have a great day!

3. osarah26 says:

I did a 5K in a snowstorm in December. It started snowing just as the race began, but I was so focused I didn’t even notice it. By the time we were done, I was soaked but still having a blast!

4. Shawna says:

i’ve yet to run a race in bad conditions, thank the Lord! 🙂

5. Should be interesting, for sure – I’m hoping for lots of shade, and that it’s cooler in the gorges 🙂

6. oh my! I have never heard of runners using the white lines to prevent shoe melt. which Im sure must be crazy hot, but still! haha
    good luck on your race!

Good luck! I know heat always slows me down, but can’t do much about that in Texas. Worst weather though was freezing rain in the Dallas Half a couple years ago. I was soaked to the bone and shivering. Blurgh.