Juicing!

I’ve been juicing for a couple of years now and I love it! I don’t use juicing as a so-called cleanse or detox – I just do it for some fresh, delicious juice!

Here’s what you need to know before you run out and buy a juicer:

1) Juicers are fairly expensive – a decent one will cost you close to $200.
2) It takes a considerable amount of certain veggies/fruits to make a moderate amount of juice – for example, last weekend I juiced two organic cucumbers ($4), one pound of organic celery ($4), a bunch of organic kale ($3) and three pounds of organic Granny Smith apples ($6). It produced about two quarts of juice.
3) They are a nuisance to clean, although some parts can go in the dishwasher.

Recipes

Here are two simple ones to get you started:

Red:

5 lbs organic carrots ($4)
3 lbs oragnic apples ($6)
2 bunches of organic beets ($6)

Green:

2 organic cucumbers ($4)
1 bunch of organic kale ($3)
1 lb of organic celery ($4)
3 lbs of organic Granny Smith apples ($6)

The produce prices above are from Wegmans. You can obviously save yourself a bit of money by visiting a food cooperative or farmers market, or by joining a CSA.

If you are in Central New York, check out:

Syracuse Real Food Co-op

CNY Regional Market

Stones Throw Farm

I scoured the internet for the best price on the Breville Juice Fountain. The winner is: Crate & Barrel. It is $199.95, but you can get 10% off by joining their mailing list. Click on the link below for details:

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Juicing!

1. Chris P says:

I used to juice all the time until my juicer broke. I sometimes think about getting a new one. Many people claim smoothies(juice + pulp) are better than juices since juicing removes the fiber(more like 90% of it). However, as a runner and a vegan I get enough fiber, sometimes a little too much, which can cause problems during very long runs. Everything goes through runners so much faster, I sometimes I think we may need less fiber than non-runners.

It’s been a while but I remember feeling very energetic after drinking some carrot juice or beet juice. I miss that feeling, though I don’t buy into “detox” claims like you. Happy running to you!

2. atracey32 says:

Awesome article! I just made a few articles on my site about juicing too!! So Imp!

3. We were just talking at work about how much fruit and vegetables you needed to make a single cup of juice. Could you imagine eating that much LOL?

4. Jennifer says:

Great post! I also enjoy juice not for detox or anything else, just… juice! The one addition I highly recommend is an inch or so of fresh ginger. It adds a nice little zip that may be an acquired taste for some, but is one of my favorite flavors! Especially in a green juice.

5. We just signed up with a local CSA program. Woohoo! Do you use the pulp for anything else? We juiced for a bit but it seemed so wasteful.

Nice! I really like our CSA – I wasn’t sold at first because we would get tons of beets one week.. then tons of kale one week.. then tons of something else.. but I’m used to it now and I’m convinced! I don’t do anything with it now – do you have any ideas? It is a bit wasteful but the juice is so good!

• The pulp is a great way to hide veggies in other foods for little ones. 😉 (i.e., carrot pancakes) I also sometimes used the pulp for pasta sauce, especially spinach. It just takes more planning than I wanted to do around a glass of juice so we do more smoothies. I’m with you that fresh juice is the tastiest though!

6. Maria Mintz says: