The 118th Boston Marathon: A Day Later

MebBib

“As an athlete, you have dreams, and today is where the dream and reality meet. I was just crying at the end. This is probably the most meaningful victory for an American, just because of what happened. It’s Patriots Day.” – Meb Keflezighi

“I was a bit scared of the hills.” – Wilson Chebet (2nd place)

“I run for Martin. I run for his family. I run for any others who were affected by the bombing last year.” – Tatyana McFadden (winner, push rim wheelchair division)

10-Time Winner Ernst Van Dyk

10-Time Winner Ernst Van Dyk

“I was preparing not just for me, but for my city and my family and my nation. There’s really no better motivation.” – Shalane Flanagan (7th place)

“I’m thankful to be healthy and a part of the Boston Marathon this important year, a year I did not want to miss. And I’m so proud of Meb! Redemption happened on the streets of Boston.” – Ryan Hall (20th place)

“It was definitely a great birthday present. The last climb, around mile 23, my arms started to shake. I could feel the exhaustion.” – Tatyana McFadden, on winning Boston on her 25th birthday

MebFinishLine

“We both cried again today. This time tears full of joy.” – Meb Keflezighi

“He was so far away. I couldn’t see Meb. I only saw straight road.” – Wislon Chebet

“I love Boston so much and I really wanted to do it for this city. I’m so sad I couldn’t do it for Boston.” – Shalane Flanagan

“The last five miles [were] like coming through a tunnel of people. Last year was just terrible. Coming back and seeing how strong Boston is, seeing all the people coming back out — it’s a big moment.” – Ernst Van Dyk (10-time winner, push rim wheelchair division)

MebFlag

“I don’t have a 2:04/2:05, but guess what? I’ve got the Boston title.” – Meb Keflezighi

“I felt like my insides were shaking, it was so loud. My ears almost hurt.” – Shalane Flanagan, commenting on the crowd support

“Looking back is not a bad thing. It can save you a win.” – Meb Keflezighi

“This is it. Your dream is going to come true.” – Meb Keflezighi

“I will be back here again until I win it.” – Shalane Flanagan

What was your favorite Boston moment?

Was this the most exciting marathon you’ve watched?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The 118th Boston Marathon: A Day Later

1. runwright says:

I loved watching the marathon. I loved that MEB won. Lots of dreams came true in Boston yesterday. Check out my post http://runwright.net/2014/04/21/meb-won/

2. emmelineruns says:

The end of that men’s race was fabulous and the women’s sprint to the finish in London was pretty exciting too, those are the top ones I can think of right now but probably just because they’re so recent and I have a terrible memory!

I’m the same way! I do remember the 2005 NYC Marathon – Meb finished 3rd, but at the front, Paul Tergat and Hendrik Ramaala had a wild sprint to the finish and Ramaala literally dove for the line but came up short. The official times were 2:09:30 and 2:09:31, but it was so much closer than that!

3. Sam says:

“I knew that if I could get the American finishers right, everything else would fall into place. It wasn’t a perfect performance, but pulling Natalie Whatever’s time out of my @$$ really helped me secure the win yesterday. I’m going to take the next week off before I start predicting who’s going to win the Stanley Cup.” – Sam Mackenzie

4. Angie says:

The last 10 minutes watching Meb had me on the edge of my seat. I was screaming for him to run faster (my dog thought I had lost my mind). It was just so exciting! Such a great race and the pace that the women had the entire time was phenomenal. I remember the 2011 Boston when Desiree Devila (now Linden) seemed to come out of nowhere and nearly got first. That was a good race.

5. My favorite marathon moment was watch Rita Jeptoo finish and break the course record…. It’s amazing to see how far women have come not only in marathoning but also at Boston….

Honestly, I’ve only caught bits and pieces in past marathons… this was the first that I have watched in entirety…My kids and I watched Meb finish and even my little one year old was cheering… awesome awesome race!!!!

6. leerunsdistances says:

My most favorite moment was watching MEB pump his fists when he knew victory was within reach and secondly just shalane’s dominance for the bulk of the race. I know she will eventually win Boston she is that driven. Once she master’s that final 5K kick like the Kenyans and Ethiopians Boston will be hers for the taking!

Thanks for collecting all these quotes! It was so amazing to watch and very inspiring!

8. Pingback: 2014 American Runners of the Year (Non-Ultra) | Must Love Jogs