The Office

TheOffice

I was at my last job for about four years. My former boss had competed in several Ironmans and an ultramarathon. He totally got it. A coworker/friend of mine ran the Empire State Marathon. She got it. I’m pretty sure the office looked something like this:

cartoon

However, several years ago, I left there and started a new job. It is in a much bigger office (approximatly 75 people) and believe it or not, people talk about things besides running! I usually do my workouts on my lunch break and 97% of the office is like:

37107323

With that being said, I think I’ve motivated a few people. They’ve asked me about different workouts and I’ve tried to point them in the right direction. Once in a while, it leads to an awkward conversation. For example,

Coworker: I got up to 8.0 on the treadmill today.
Me: Awesome. That’s really great!
Coworker: How far could you run that fast?
Me: Umm.
Coworker: Come on, how far?
Me: Maybe like *cough* forty or fifty miles?

You get some interesting reactions to a statement like that.

a_560x375

Do you talk to your coworkers about running?

Do you encourage people you work with to run, stay fit, eat healthy, etc.?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Office

1. emmelineruns says:

I live on an island of my own research so no coworkers to speak of haha. I’ve helped a few friends get started though!

2. Cat Hiles says:

I’m training for a marathon with a coworker, so that gives me a good outlet to discuss running without boring non-running people. Last year, before she worked here, I felt like all I talked about was the marathon, and I could see people zoning out.

Having said that, I’ve had a few coworkers ask me for running advice, but for the most part I try to talk about non-running subjects!

3. That’s how I felt at my previous job. I wanted to talk about running but there is so much more out there…I guess. LOL. I’m glad you are inspiring people, people asked me frequently up north but not so much down here.

4. Ahahahahah! I love the pictures you chose, well done! I actually do talk about running ALL THE TIME! That being said, I motivated my boss, at first he signed up for a cycling class and now he registered for a half-marathon this fall. Also a few girls wanted to try out a Spartan Race Sprint (5+km). I LOVE LOVE LOVE motivating people! xoxo

5. WalkToRio says:

One of my coworkers used to run with me, he got into it, but then he found a girlfriend.
    My coworkers always ask about my races and sometimes they even go to give me some support.
    Even the IT guys.

6. leerunsdistances says:

Yep! I’ve had that awkward conversation before haha! My job is kind of a win win situation because I work in cardiology so most of my coworkers care about there health for the most part. However with that being said I am still known as “the runner” but over the last year there has been about another 4-5 that have joined the fold.

7. jajjaa!! loved the photo reaction! I’m a teacher so I relish my lunch break by scarfing down my food. I have one co-worker who likes running and he’s pretty much the only one I talk to at work.

I love encouraging people to run and stay fit but I usually let them bring it up. When they do, I’m off and running (hardy har!) on talking about it

I recently started blogging too and that has not only served as an outlet for me but as a way to motivate people–which makes me very happy 🙂

Haha, nice! Enjoy your awkward conversations.
    We do have a couple other exercise enthusiasts, but they are in different departments and I rarely get to chat with them. Oh well.

9. Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures says:

Haha, my current office is the opposite of your old office. Fast food for lunch? Check. Exercise? What is that? They are always in shock when I tell them my weekend plans involve a run… 🙂 LOVE The Office!! ❤ Good for you for motivating people. That's all you can ask for!

10. LOL!!! Those looks…. I don’t talk to people about running in my office unless they ask… I’ve learned my lesson. I do have some people at work who run so at least I have them, even if we don’t sit in the same building (I work at a big company).

11. My old office was just my boss and I and I never really talked to him about running. When I was working there AND working at a restaurant at night it was worse- no one there ran and they usually made fun of me for it. My current office, not everyone runs but a few do. I actually made training plans for some of the people and have tried to help encourage them along the way. Nice to have people around who understand why we do what we do.