I Can’t Take It Anymore!!

White-Flag-of-Surrender

You win, winter. You win.

pug

It is about 18 degrees and the wind chill is 10 degrees. Tonight, it’s going to be -5. That’s Farenheit, not Celsius. Of course, there’s snow blowing around too – because it’s March 5th – and why wouldn’t there be snow blowing around? We’ve only had a little more snow that average this year but it’s looked like this for as long as I can remember:

January Snow

Well, I guess that’s not completely true. Some days, it has looked like this:

JanuarySnow

You get the idea. With the exception of a few days in January, I’ve been running on snow-covered roads and snow-covered sidewalks for three months. While I think there are some benefits to training this way (e.g. mental toughness, core strength, stabilizer strength), I believe I have maxed them out. Specifically, I have two concerns going forward:

1) I am running a 50-miler on June 1st and there’s a good chance it will be hot.

In Human Performance Physiology and Environmental Medicine at Terrestrial Extremes, Kent Pandolf and Michael Sawka made the following findings:

Most of the improvements in heart rate, core and skin temp, and sweat rate are acquired in just one week of heat exposure. Heart rate adaptations are seen in just four to five days. However, increases in sweating can take up to one month to occur.

More is gained from a one hundred minute bout of heat exposure exercise than one fifty minute bout, but adding bouts beyond one hundred minutes of exposure did not quicken adaptation.

Heat exposure adaptations have been studied to disappear as quickly as one week if the subject is not re-placed in the heat, but may last as long as three weeks in some individuals.

So what does this tell me? Since the adaptations occur fairly quickly, I still have time before I need to worry. However, at some point, I need it to get warmer and stay warmer. In the meantime, I’ve been doing a few treadmill runs. While these don’t exactly take place in a tropical climate, I’m hoping they will help a little.

2) It is still quite difficult to get in a decent speed workout.

I don’t mind doing a speed workout in the cold weather, within reason. However, not only has it been cold, it has also been snowy. The result is that roads and sidewalks are still covered in snow. That’s pretty much a deal-breaker for me as far as speed workouts go. I’ve found a couple of clear areas where I have still managed to do strides. I’ve also done a few harder workouts on the treadmill. Finally, I’ve managed to do two races and I have a third coming this weekend. It is certainly not ideal and I’m really hoping the roads and sidewalks clear up soon.

How are you surviving winter?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to I Can’t Take It Anymore!!

1. runwright says:

Reblogged this on RUN WRIGHT and commented:
    I feel the same way. It’s been HARSH this winter. I was trying to be a total ROCKY about running in the snow, posing for selfies running in sub-zero weather, that is until I got sick and had to surrender to the power of winter. Today, it’s finally above freezing in NYC again and I am looking forward to 40 degree weather later this week. I can’t wait to finally get back to road running. Winter won! But it’s a temporary victory. Spring is coming. Warmer days are coming. And I intend to win!

2. leerunsdistances says:

Eh’ winter has been good for me but I’m in the state everyone loves to hate right now … FLORIDA lol, the only place where there isn’t snow on the ground. I will say that it has even been colder here this year

3. lljkline says:

It made me laugh when I read this because I feel like I just hit my breaking point this morning. I like to think I’m a bad-ass, and that training through this only makes me stronger. But right now it’s just not happening – mentally at least. My motivation level is low, I feel slow and behind in my training when the season is right around the corner, and yes – the lack of “real” speedwork is killing me. If there was an end in sight it may help my mood, but seeing so much snow and ice everywhere is tough. C’mon spring!!

4. bgddyjim says:

Well, settled science aside (which simply makes me laugh any more), we’re getting close! Stinkin’ groundhog! Funny and ironic, that.

5. heard. that.
    it will be nice when the only thing we have to worry about is heat and not freezing temps/wind/ice/snow.

i don’t really like pugs (except for 2) but that’s pretty cute.

6. jeri says:

*slow* *clap* for the pug pic. Ollie the pug approves.

I’m way over this winter too, holy hell. We’d better be rewarded with a spring that lasts longer than two weeks, or I’m going to lose my shit. Toodles.

7. Pingback: The Weather. | Must Love Jogs